We win cases because we are relentless in our pursuit for results

What Happens if Somebody Else is Driving My Car and Gets in an Accident?

Category: Automobile/Car Accidents

In California, auto insurance typically follows the car rather than the driver. This means that the primary insurance coverage for the accident will generally come from the car owner’s insurance policy, regardless of who was behind the wheel at the time of the incident.

Vehicle Owner’s Liability

As the car’s owner, you may be held liable for the actions of the person driving your vehicle, especially if they were using it with your consent. This liability extends to property damage and injuries caused by the accident.

Therefore, it is crucial to review your insurance policy for any exclusions or limitations regarding who is covered when driving your car. Some policies may have restrictions on coverage for certain individuals, such as those with a history of accidents or specific driver restrictions.

Permissive Use vs. Non-Permissive Use

Insurance coverage may vary based on whether the person driving your car had permission to do so. If the driver had your permission, it’s considered permissive use, and your insurance is more likely to cover the damages. However, if they were using the car without permission, it could complicate matters.

Non-Owner Car Insurance

If the person driving your car is not a member of your household and does not have their own auto insurance, they may be covered by non-owner car insurance if they have such a policy. This coverage typically provides liability protection when driving a car that does not belong to the policyholder.

Potential Lawsuits

If the victim’s damages exceed the limits of your insurance coverage or if the driver at fault does not have insurance, you may be personally responsible for the remaining costs. This could lead to legal actions, including lawsuits, seeking compensation for the damages.

What Happens if Somebody Else is Driving My Car and Has an Accident that Wasn’t Their Fault?

In the scenario where the borrower of your vehicle has an accident and another driver is at fault, California’s fault rule comes into play. Both you, as the vehicle owner, and the borrower have grounds to file claims against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. This process allows for the recovery of vehicle repair costs for the damaged vehicle. Simultaneously, if the person who borrowed your car sustains injuries due to the accident, they can seek compensation for their injuries from the insurance of the at-fault driver.

What if the At-Fault Driver Does Not Have Insurance?

If the at-fault driver in an accident does not have insurance, it can complicate the process of seeking compensation for damages and injuries. In such situations, several options and considerations come into play:

  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM): If you have UM/UIM coverage as part of your own insurance policy, it can provide coverage for your vehicle’s damages and, in some cases, injuries resulting from the accident. This coverage is designed to protect you when an at-fault party is uninsured or has insufficient coverage.
  • Collision Coverage: If you have collision coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, it may cover the damage to your vehicle regardless of the at-fault driver’s insurance status. However, this coverage does not extend to injuries.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP or med-pay is an optional form of coverage and may help cover medical expenses and other costs, regardless of fault if you carry it.
  • Suing the At-Fault Driver: You may choose to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver to recover your damages. However, if the driver does not have insurance, they may not have sufficient assets to cover the costs. Therefore, winning a lawsuit does not guarantee immediate payment.

A trusted Fresno Car Accident Attorney specializing in auto accidents and insurance matters can help you navigate the legal complexities, assess your liability, and protect your interests.